Wednesday, October 19, 2005

The "good stuff". 13,794 raptors counted in San José Paploapan Vercruz October 19, 2005.
(Click on the image below to see the larger image)














Click on the image below for larger image












I got to the site and got settled by 11:00 am....things were "dead". At 12:30 p.m. I begin to count Sharpies , Coop´s and American Kestrels.
At 13:00 I spotted my first turkey Vulture for the day.......the beginning of the "river of raptors" for the day. For the next 22 minutes I am able to photograph and count a constant "stream" of some 13,000 raptors.
At one moment I had three lines in my view......slow moving "potpurri" of aquatics and raptors.......American white pelican(600+), Anhinga(375) , Wood storks (1,550+) Swainson´s hawks, Turkey Vultures, Broad-winged hawks, Osprey, Sharp-shinned hawks, Cooper´s hawks, Merlin, Perigrine falcon, Northern Harrier, American kestrel.......
What a wonderful mix........it doesn´t matter how many times I see it, I am in awe, and grateful to witness one of natures greatest spectacles.
Enjoy the photos...this is the "good stuff".......


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com



























Click on the image below to see the larger image



Image hosted by Photobucket.com
















Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Today´s Report:
San José Papaloapan
Oct. 19, 2005
11:00 a.m. til 17:00 (6 hrs.)
Breeze from the NNW....mixed clouds.
Swainson´s hawks..............5,805
Turkey vultures.................6,884
Broad-winged hawks............916
Osprey.........................................4
Sharp-shinned hawk...............74
Cooper´s hawk.........................46
Merlin..........................................3
American kestrel.......................55
Peregrine Falcon..........................6
Northern harrier..........................1
Total.....................................13,794

Non migrating raptors observed:
Black vulture, Northern Caracara, Roadside hawk, Laughing falcon, Snail kite, Great black hawk,
Aplomado falcon, Black-collared hawk.

I want to thank all of the men and women of San José Papaloapan for sharing their knowledge of this migration with me, they told me that "lots" came overhead, I believed them and it paid off today.
Good birding,
David

No comments: