Saturday, September 04, 2004



Greetings from Veracruz:
For those of you who don’t know me, I’m David McCauley. I have lived in Veracruz for the last 12 years and began birding 6 years ago. I run a small birding tour business here in Veracruz, Birding Veracruz. I love Mexico. It is a wonderful country and its people are (for the most part) warm and friendly. It is of great concern to me the rapid loss of habitat here in Mexico. With over 115 species of migratory birds, (which either pass through or winter here in Mexico) concern over habitat destruction in Mexico and Latin America should be of interest to birders.
I note with some interest that a great number of birders in the U.S. have developed a “list fixation” and that issues such as habitat loss seems to be of very little concern. In many birding message boards conservation or environmental concerns are dismissed or banned.
Hmmmmm?
I don’t consider myself an environmental activist. Having grown up on a farm in central Washington and based on my observations here in Mexico, this farm boy thinks that it time to plant some trees south of the Texas border.
I am not much of a believer in causes and clubs or organizations. My goal in what remains of my life (I’m 51) is to purchase several small parcels (15 to 30 acres, each) of land in a variety of habitats here in Mexico and restore the original habitat. Its not much, but I believe that is a small step in the right direction.
The other project that I am working on here in Mexico are short presentations in the schools focusing attention on birds and their importance.
Small steps. I am optimistic that much can be accomplished here.

No comments: