Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Rita´s effects felt here today.
September 28, 2005
Plaza Doña Marta
Tlacotlapan, Veracruz
I get up ready for hawkwatch. The imprints of yesterday´s migration are with me and I am ready for more of the same. I check the most current satellite image....things look good.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
I start observation at 9:30 am, The skies are mostly clear and conditions weatherwise are seem to be ideal for raptor migration.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
I stopped observation at 16:00....the results?

Broad-winged hawks........60
Turkey Vultures................15
Osprey..................................7
Cooper´s hawk....................4
American kestrel................5
Peregrine falcon.................3
Hooked-billed kite.............1
Merlin.................................2

TOTAL.............................97
After yesterday´s flood of raptors, 84,579..... (it was the most density I have ever witnessed and I have spent last 5 migration seasons in the Cardel/Chichicaxtle/Paso de Ovejas area)
Today was a pause...I surmise that it is the effect from hurricane Rita in Texas and Louisiana.
It would be nice to see a report from PRONATURA VERACRUZ as to what their counts were like.
But for some reason, for the past couple of years they share their data in December.
If anyone from Pronatura reads this, just remember....its nice to share.....in a timely fashion.
So thats it for today.
I was able to digiscope a Groove-billed ani that was here in the Plaza Doña Marta today as well as a dragonfly and a photo detail of a red tiled roof. Enjoy.
I look forward to tomorrow´s watch.
David McCauley
hawkwatch@gmail.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

No comments: