Sunday, October 02, 2005

197 Broad-winged hawks and an afternoon in a Mexican cantina.......

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The pictures pretty much tell the story.....a washout for the hawkwatch, opening a window for a beer in a favorite watering hole......
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Each year that I live here in Mexico and experience a spring or fall raptor migration I ask myself.....why am I essentially alone in observing what must be among the greatest raptor migrations to be seen on the planet?
There are supposedly millions of dedicated birders in the US and Canada, they travel all over the US to see a rare bird, but the line seemes to stop at the Texas /Mexico border.
Mexico..........fraught with danger, you´ll surely get diarreah if you drink the water, you´ll be robbed.....who knows? Stereotypes at their worst..........
Americans (many) seem to be OK with Mexicans, as long as the relationship doesn´t extend beyond them mowing their lawns, pruning their trees, washing their dishes in their favorite restaurant or a myriad of underpaid tasks..............
Just a note to anyone who might read this........birders, let´s give Mexico a chance.......Mexico is a developing country (as once was the United States) her people are for the most part hospitable, warm and caring, the country provides great birding opportunities, and an opportunity to see life as it is.
I issue a challenge to birders in the US.....visit Mexico to bird.
If you are a bigoted, elitist, "let me fill my list with endemic specialties at any cost" birder please stay at home....we don´t need it.
I have had my fill of "fat cat"/"its all about me and my comfort birders".
Having spent the last 7 years as a birding guide here in Veracruz, I have seen and heard it all.

I can tell you that birding here is wonderful, the food is great and the opportunity exists to share your birding passion with people who are less fortunate.
OK, enough already,........ I love Mexico and I love my country, USA- I know that good "regular people" birders would have the time of their life down here birding....you are all invited.



My report:
Oct. 2, 2005
Tlacotalpan Ver.
9:30-11:30
Day started out somewhat overcast turning into rains for most of the day, I was able to observe 197 Broad-winged hawks zipping through in front of the dark storm clouds.
Broad-winged hawks..........197
TV.............................................3
Osprey.....................................2
Peregrine falcon......................2
American kestrel....................2

Total......................................206

No comments: