Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Lackluster raptor day.....I "digiscope" a Green-breasted mango hummingbird and photograph a Northern Cat-eyed snake.
Today was the first morning that it has not rained in over a week.....I got on the bus and headed for San José Paploapan looking forward to seeing lots of raptors.
todays results:
Observation time 10:00am to 16:30
Perfect conditions for raptor migration......somebody should have told the raptors!
Turkey Vulture............14
SW...................................0
BW...................................0
Osprey.............................1
Sharp-shinned hawk. .11
Cooper´s hawk...............8
Am. Kestrel.....................8
Merlin..............................2
Total..............................44

Today provided another oportunity.......I had the scope with me and I was able to "digiscope"(digital camera attached to a spotting scope) some Green-breasted mango hummingbirds. What a treat! The pics below.....

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Immature green breasted mango (note cinnamon sides of neck)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Imm.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Imm.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Imm.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Imm.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Male Green-breasted Mango
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Imm.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
feeding on a bird of paradise flower

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The patch of Bird of Paradise was filled with hummingbird movement, I also observed Buff-bellied hummingbirds and Rufous-tailed hummingbirds.

In the afternoon some kids came by we talked about birds a bit, (I gave them a copy of my photo booklet "Birds of Veracruz" That I use here when I make presentations in the schools.
They asked me if I wanted to see the snake that they just caught.
And I did.
Here are the photos.... it appears to be a Northern Cat-eyed snake Leptodeira septentrionalis
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Click HERE for a large view.

No comments: